Saturday, October 5, 2013

SEPTEMBER 2013: The English Teacher, Adore, We Steal Secrets & About Time


Starting January last year, I decided to list all the movies I’ve watched for the first time. May it be Filipino, foreign, documentary or short, as long as it’s a film, it’ll be part of my list. My main goal was to reach 100 films so I’d be able to rank them at the end of the year. I had a hard time accomplishing it last year. But as of now, I’m still doing it. In fact, I was able to reach my goal and was also able rank all the films in my list.

This year, I’m having an easy and fun time reaching my goal. I have already reached the 100th mark before July ended. Even I, am impressed. :) I’m not sure if I’m in dire need of LIFE for having so much time for movies, but thinking about it, I actually have more activities now compared to last year. Travel? Like last year, I have plenty. I joined my office’s badminton club this year. I’ve spent more time with my family too. But going back to films, as of the end of September, I’ve already seen 136 films and I’m craving for more!

Last month, I’ve also decided to put some of my thoughts about the films that I’ve watched here in my blog. Not only it would save this blog from being worthless, but it would also help me when I have to rank all these films next year. Plus, I LOVE discussing films so I’m really looking forward to any comments whenever I vomit all my thoughts in this blog. Don’t mind the hideous design. :/

Anyway, if you want to see the films I’ve watched last August, you can refer to this link: http://misterplummy.blogspot.com/2013/09/august-2013-movies-ive-watched-for.html

I got lazy writing my thoughts for all of those films but I’ve also explained some movie stuff in that entry so if you wanna check it out, please do so. :)) I also had the wrong approach last month. I figured that if I want to write my thoughts for the films that I’ve watched, I have to write them as soon as possible and it would be better if I write them a few days (better if a few hours) after watching them without reaching, I guess, a week. That way, my thoughts would be fresher and my feelings are much stronger. Waiting for the end of the month to write my thoughts for all the films I’ve watched would be too much of a chore especially if I’ve watched a lot. Like for the month of September, I watched 19 films. I think, one of the downsides of this approach though, is that the tone and my way of writing would be different each time :/ ...but let’s begin! :)

The English Teacher
Director: Craig Zisk
With: Julianne Moore, Michael Angarano, Greg Kinnear, Lily Collins
"Only true romantics never find love"

Linda Sinclair (Julianne Moore) is a forty-year-old unmarried English teacher whose greatest relationship is with reading and literature. When a disheartened former student moves back into town after failing to make it as a playwright in New York, Linda decides to step out of her comfort zone and mount his play with the help of the high school drama teacher.

The English Teacher is engaging enough for people who watch films to be entertained. It has a good amount of clusterfuck storylines and laughs for people to appreciate it but the lack of depth is rather unsatisfying. Everything about it screams mediocre to average.

Julianne Moore, as usual, is good though. But from all of her films, her performance in The English Teacher is just in the middle of the road for me. Her Charley in Tom Ford's A Single Man is still the worst. I still cringe every time I imagine her do her forced British accent. Michael Angarano is equally good. Never heard of him prior to my viewing of this film but he portrayed his role well. He got me into liking his character to hating it and to liking it again, same with Moore's Linda. The thing about this film is that, despite its lackluster direction and content, it made me care about the characters especially Linda Sinclair.

Adore 
Director: Anne Fontaine
With: Naomi Watts, Robin Wright, James Frecheville, Xavier Samuel

The eroticism in the first part of this film is so forced in almsot every scene that it's verging on ridiculous, then you come to accept it as it is and becomes a little better. Then the second quarter became more interesting, thanks to Naomi Watts portrayal of Lil. Her eyes displays a good expression of jealousy and longingness to an unusual affair between her and Roz's (Robin Wright) son (James Frecheille). Then the third quarter kind of sucked, but it inclined to a good twist that managed the film to come to its full circle of mess.

This film shows acceptance of one's condition despite the difficulties of the situation. Love and solidarity succeeds in this film. But the situation in this film is close to unrealistic that only a few would relate to its story or probably none at all. One thing to love about this film though is that it's beautifully shot from first scene to last.


We Steal Secrets: The Story of Wikileaks
Director: Alex Gibney
With: Julian Assange, Bradley Manning, Heather Brooke 

A very informative documentary about the life behind Wikileaks, its system and how it affects the society and the organization itself. Great storytelling as it enumerates secrets that Wikileaks divulged into public domain, the background of the people behind it and how it hugely affected not only their own lives but the humanity as well. But what's so riveting about the film is that it showed well the fascinating story of Julian Assange, the editor-in-chief of Wikileaks and how he started this program of exposing the secrets of the powerful, dealt with its consequences emerging from media and the involved governments.

Director Alex Gibney managed to push the sympathy towards Bradley Manning, a contributor to the Wikileaks which was incarcerated because of his release of materials to this program. Manning's life outside Wikileaks is interesting enough to be hooked in this film. The illustration of Manning's series of chats with Adrian Lamo deserves its own film/documentary, something I could also say to Assange's life, as Assange proved to be an icon himself. Very charismatic for that matter.

It also showed how easily whistleblowers lives can be put into jeopardy because of what they do to stand up for what they want to achieve. It tackled the consequences and complexities of revealing information to the public whatever his or her motives to do it. It also exposes the dilemma of Freedom of Speech and the ethics of Journalism. Very enticing documentary and a must-see, this film doesn't stop from narrating what we thought we know already, but it also gives us a second thought of what we thought was right and wrong.


About Time
Director: Richard Curtis
With: Domhnall Gleeson, Rachel McAdams, Bill Nighy

DISCLAIMER: I've already posted this in my previous blog. I love About Time too much that it deserves a repeat post and an own entry. :3
http://misterplummy.blogspot.com/2013/09/my-take-on-about-time-my-new-favorite.html

 "I just try to live every day as if it was the final day of My Extraordinary, Ordinary Life."

A movie must be damn great for me to be able to watch it, and rave about it after seeing it when the leading man looks like one of my least favorite reality contestant ever. That is About Time with its lead actor, Domhnall Gleeson, whose resemblance from John Cochran (winner of Survivor: Caramoan) is unbelievably uncanny! I actually might have forgiven Cochran already only because of Gleeson in this film. Also, You shouldn't be surprised that this one is good as it is directed by Richard Curtis. He is known for his classic romantic comedy films - such as Four Weddings and a Funeral, Notting Hill, Love Actually and Bridget Jones to name some, and this one is a great addition to his filmography which I predict will be considered as one of his classics many years from now.

Gleeson plays this young man, Tim, who seem to always fail in finding his love but not until his father (Bill Nighy) revealed that the men in their family can travel in time.

Based on its trailer, I came into watching this film expecting that it would just be another light hearted, overly romantic and perhaps a tearjerker that will make me feel good. I was right about those but I walked out of the theater gaining more. It's not your usual romantic chick flick because it's actually more of a film about life and family, and that's the reason why I love it so much! It also probably helps that the voice of the story is coming from a guy, which makes it more relatable for men, but hell, sure women would like it too as its probably the cutest film there is. I love Rachel McAdams since The Notebook. She plays Mary here, the love interest of Tim. She has this amazing aura that's always present in her films and she delivered yet another charismatic performance in this despite her character being underwritten. That is possible with the huge help of Domhnall Gleeson (whom I just found out that he was on Harry Potter as Ron's brother, Bill).



Gleeson and McAdams have a terrific chemistry that you would think, Gleeson is probably the best leading man for McAdams in all of her films (yes, I like their chemistry more than Ryan Gosling in The Notebook but that's probably a subject to change if I rewatch The latter). The supporting characters also contribute to why this film is such a freakin' charmer. From Tim's super adorable and quirky sister (Lydia Wilson) to Tim's loving and supportive father played by the ever charming Bill Nighy, to the sarcastic friend of Tim, Harry, who's very reminiscent of Chandler of Friends (except he's much more sarcastic), to Uncle Desmond who will make everyone laugh with his peculiarity and I would go on and on, but this ensemble really worked out!

It also stands out from the melodramatic aspect of other chick flicks. It will make you blush and cringe at the same time, not because what you see is bad, but because it just makes you smile and feel good despite the awkwardness of most scenes. There are several moments in the film when I thought that the relationship of Tim and Mary would falter but the story seems to always go the right way for them and for the audience.

The lesson one would get from this film has already been showcased in many films from the past, which is, as its title indicated, About Time, but for me it's still worth the time to watch it. Heck, I think it's also worth the money to see it in a movie house. I'm already aware of the importance of time in our lives but About Time is a great reminder that everyone should really live their lives like it's their last. See, I'm getting sentimental again! Sue me. :))

I couldn't end this writeup without mentioning its sweet soundtrack which includes some of the most overused and mainstream songs like Friday I'm In Love, Nelly and Kelly Rowland's Dilemma, Sugababes' Push the Button but it also has a LOT of beautiful tracks that I've never heard before. Almost all of the tracks are in my iPhone playlist now. :) It also has Il Mondo in it, their wedding song. I never thought I would put Il Mondo on repeat. Never. I was introduced to this song because my father loves to play it when I was a kid. I've always thought it's insanely old fashioned. After watching the film, it's still old fashioned but man, they used it perfectly! Watch out for the wackiest wedding scene you'll ever witness! Also, I've never liked Ellie Goulding, but her cover of How Long Will I Love You, originally sung by The Waterboys, is fantastic. There are actually two renditions of this song in this film, the first one's by Ellie Goulding and the other one will probably known as the best track associated with the film because it was played in a very cute montage of Tim and Mary celebrating their lovely relationship, that is of course, aside from Il Mondo.


Make no mistake, this film is unrealistic as Santa Claus. It also has some inconsistensies and loopholes with its time travel rules. But no one can take away the roller coaster of good emotions you'll get from this film. It's a romantic love story but it's also a wonderful love story of a father and son that will surely touch most, if not all, of its viewers. Let's face it, we don't see lots of sweet and feel good films lately that's why I highly recommend this film because this one will provide the good vibes we long for our lives from time to time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment