Saturday, November 2, 2013

OCTOBER 2013: Gravity, Coming Soon, Captain Phillips and Don Jon

October has passed and I've only added 8 to the films I've watched for the first time this year. Few compared to my last 3 months but I've watched two big films in Gravity and Captain Phillips.




Gravity
Director: Alfonso Cuarón
With: Sandra Bullock, George Clooney
  







Coming Soon
Director:  Sophon Sakdapisit
With: Vorakan Rojchanawat, Sakulrath Thomas, Chantavit Dhanasevi

Around 10 years ago, I'm crazy about Asian horror films. From Ringu to The Grudge to The Eye to Shutter, and even our own horror films like Feng Shui and Sukob :3, they are all fun to watch. In 2008, Thai horror film Coming Soon was released and I just saw it this October through a stay over with friends. They always talked about how Shomba, the main ghost in the film, is scary. I can't help but associate her name to Shomba Rhimes and Shombadings though, it already has to fill that aspect that I find funny and convert it to scary.

Horror films are always allowed to expand the possibilities of natural occurrences and Coming Soon did that. The concept of the film is actually pretty fresh. It's a horror film within a horror film. However, I think the direction relied too much on the concept but didn't explore to its full potential. It has some impossible plots but I've accepted all of those. Why not? Even Sadako came out of the TV screen and managed to scare the hell out of me. The Ring is very effective because of those crazies. I wish Coming Soon just consistently pushed the boundaries of having unimaginable tricks without looking back. But for me, it was just safe and inconsistent with several frights. I love that its unpredictable though, it's just not that Oh my scary.

What I got from watching this though is something rewarding, I finally met Shomba. :3





Captain Phillips
Director: Paul Greengrass
With: Tom Hanks, Barkhad Abdi









Don Jon
Director: Joseph Gordon-Levitt
With: Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Scarlett Johansson, Julianne Moore


No comments:

Post a Comment